2022 Programs & Events
(Extra)Ordinary: Images of Everyday Life in Albany – free, registration open
- Virtual programming, Fridays noon-12:30 pm – free
- February 25: Hannah’s Family: African American Family Identity in Albany County – in honor of Black History Month
- March 4: In Memoriam: Emotion & Embroidery in the Early Republic
- March 11: Caritas: Victorian Values in Art
- March 18: Painting & Politics in Albany
History & Horticulture in Albany
Virtual Programming – Wednesdays 7-7:30 pm – free, registration open
- April 6: Historic Apple Orchards in Upstate New York, David Zakalik, MA, Cornell University. Plus introduction from NE New York Orchid Society.
- April 13: Greenhouses: A Transatlantic Exchange, Alan Stein, author of The Conservatory: Gardens Under Glass (Princeton Architectural Press). Purchase book here (20% discount code for the book sent with registration).
- April 20: Rebuilding Dickinson’s Conservatory, Jane Wald, Director, Emily Dickinson Museum, Amherst MA.
Family History Scanning Days: free workshops on caring for family heirlooms with an opportunity to have your family documents (up to 20 per family group) professionally scanned for inclusion in research materials for students and historians. Free preservation supplies and consultation with archivists and curators about caring for your family’s records.
- March 29 & 30 – introduction (virtual program) – register here
- May 21
- June 18
- July 16
- October 8
- Historical Society & Church Archivist Training Workshop: date TBA – free for Albany County historical societies, library groups, and houses of worship – registration TBA
Ten Broeck Mansion Tours: re-open May 14, end October 15 – advance registration requested via ticket link above
- May/September/October: Fridays 10 am, 11 am, noon, 1 pm; Saturdays 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm
- June/July/August: Fridays 10 am, 11 am, noon, 1 pm; Saturdays & Sundays 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm
- Children are free. Adults: $5. Seniors, Veterans, & College Students: $4.
- Special tours on select Wednesdays and Thursdays – please see below for dates.
- Note: all Friday 1 pm tours will have the special theme: Healthy, Wealthy & Wise: Households & Health at the Ten Broeck Mansion Learn how families stayed healthy from the 1700s-1800s as you progress room-by-room through the Ten Broeck Mansion. Discover hidden drains and linen cupboards – and learn about underground waterways and other evidence informing us about changing attitudes towards health and wellness in Albany NY.
Additional 2022 Focus tours, garden tours, and Immersion Tours
- Immersion Tours: Freedom & Opportunity in Albany: explore three of Albany’s finest historic sites and museums to explore stories of abolition, freedom, immigration and labor at the Ten Broeck Mansion, Underground Railroad Education Center, and Irish American Heritage Museum. Thursday Aug 18, Sep 15, Oct 20 2-6 pm.
- Hidden Histories: Ten Broeck Mansion Garden & Architecture Tours: Wednesdays 1-2 pm, July 27, Aug 24, Sep 21, Oct 26, 1-2 pm. Have you ever wondered how a historic house and landscape is restored? Join us for an outdoor tour to learn about the Ten Broeck Mansion and its gardens and learn about the hidden histories within our site.
- Arbor Hill Neighbors: the Ten Broeck Mansion’s Historic Neighborhood: Thursdays Aug 11, Sep 8, Oct 13, 1-2 pm. Join us for a walking tour around the grounds of the 5-acre 1764 Ten Broeck Land Plot, as we explore the Mansion’s connections to Albany’s second oldest residential neighborhood, Arbor Hill. Learn about the development of the Ten Broeck Land Plot, and the interconnections to early neighbors in our community.
Our gardens are open free to our community: to make a welcoming experience for all, please follow our garden regulations here
Living History Community Days: free family garden, health, & art-making programs 10:30-11:30 – art projects Explore our gardens, museum collections, and many cultures with the theme “Our Big, Big World.”
- Living History Family Art & Garden Series: Saturdays 10:30-11:30 am. Free.
- May 21 – opening event
- June 18 – plants of Africa – art project: papyrus leaf printing
- July 2 – plants of Asia – art project: tea box treasure chest & tea tasting
- July 16 – plants of South America – art project: 3 sisters rock painting & heirloom seeds
- July 30 – plants of “Down Under”/Oceania – art project: Wardian case (fairy garden) & pineapple ornament
- August 13 – plants of North America – art project: sunflower surprise
Juneteenth Celebration Weekend June 18-19:
- free admission to the Ten Broeck Mansion June 18-19
- free Living History Family Programs June 18 – children’s discovery tours of African plants featured in our gardens; art making project: botanicals inspired by African printmaking
- free Family History Scanning Day: June 18, with free research techniques consultation with ACHA staff who specialize in African American family research in the Hudson Valley
- county-wide historic site tours: special theme: Freedom in Albany
Archaeology Day: June 18 – free – registration open
- participate in a hands-on archaeology dig at the Ten Broeck Mansion 10 am – 2 pm
Shakespeare Festival: August 27
- Free Family Shakespeare Workshop 1-2:30 pm with Confetti Stage
- Selections from Shakespeare by Capital Repertory Theatre 2:30-3:30 pm
Landscape Volunteers & Gardening Days Saturdays 9 – 11 am – please pre-register for more information
- April 30 -kick-off event
- May 21
- June 18
- July 16
- August 13
- September 10
- October 1 (bulb planting)
- October 8 (bulb planting – rain date)
Immerse in History: County-wide Historic Site Program
Free Ten Broeck Mansion tour admission these weekends (advance registration required) – travel county-wide making your own historical connections, exploring themes of freedom, the Revolutionary War, architecture & gardens, and education. Free admission all weekend. Schedule and stops TBA.
- October 8/9
- August 1-5, 10 am – 3 pm Bright Ideas: Art-Based Community Leadership Camp: for Arbor Hill teens (grades 8-12) – nomination for program via school, church, or community group – free tuition. Contact us for the application. Instructor: Yaw Boateng, YB Graphic Design.
- Ten Broeck Mansion Art & Artisan Show: applications TBA
- October 1 Family Bulb Planting & Take-home Bulb Kits – free
- October 22 Free Family Scavenger Hunt – free
To ensure a safe experience for all, participants will follow safe social distancing, mask-wearing, and other required health practices. Sanitation stations available.
Free educational programs made possible in part with funding by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature and members of the ACHA like you: thank you.